Cracked teeth can cause you develop serious dental problems that will damage your oral health and your smile. Our experienced dentist at Crabtree Dental Center offers treatments for cracked teeth in Colorado Springs, Colorado, to help you avoid dental problems and restore your healthy smile. To learn more and to schedule your appointment with Dr. Alan and Cory Andrews, please contact our office at 719-599-7453.
There are many types of cracked teeth. Symptoms of cracked teeth are consistent between different types of cracks, and include pain while chewing, sensitivity to temperature, intermittent pain, and a release of biting pressure. As these symptoms may also indicate other dental problems, cracked teeth can sometimes be difficult to diagnose.
Types of cracks include:
- Craze lines – Superficial cracks in the enamel of the teeth. Craze lines are not usually a cause for concern.
- Fractured cusps – When the raised points on top of the tooth are weakened, and either break off or are removed by a dentist. Dental crowns are often the recommended treatment for fractured cusps.
- Cracked tooth – A crack extending from the chewing surface of the tooth toward the root, sometimes even extending below the gum line into the root. A root canal may be necessary to treat a cracked tooth. If left untreated, this type of crack can cause you to lose your tooth.
- Split tooth – Often the result of an untreated cracked tooth, a split tooth is easily identified by the distinct segments it breaks into. Depending on the position of the tooth and the severity of the crack, our dentist may or may not be able to save the tooth. An endodontic procedure will likely be recommended if treatment is possible.
- Vertical root fracture – A crack beginning at the root and extending toward the chewing surface of the tooth. Vertical root fractures do not exhibit any obvious symptoms, and you will likely need to have the damaged tooth extracted.
For more information about cracked teeth, please contact our practice and schedule an appointment with our dentist.